PROMOTING CLIMATE ACTION
“Promoting Climate Action" is one of our four sustainability pillars, and our objective is to “take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.” Prime Forest leadership is committed to assessing how we impact THE climate, and how the changing climate impacts our industry. In response, we identify ways to mitigate our own impacts while increasing resiliency and our ability to be environmental stewards.
WHAT WE’VE DONE
• In 2020, we introduced board-level oversight of sustainability and climate-related issues, giving the appropriate importance and focus on these topics for our company and our decision-making.
• We have been publicly reporting our climate information to CDP - formerly Carbon Disclosure Project located in United Kingdom
• We are committed to measuring and reducing our Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions, and we have had our near-term Scope 1 and 2 targets approved by SBTi, Science Based Targets Initiative – Reduce Scope 1&2 emissions 42% by 2030 and continue to measure and reduce Scope 3 emissions working in partnership with customers and vendors.
• We offset 100% of our Scope 1 emissions by purchasing verified carbon credits with BEF – Bonneville Environmental Foundation to reduce the impact of our overall emissions.
Our Scope 1 emissions increased in 2021 as Prime Forest acquired a new vehicle, which was needed to attend to the company’s operations. However, as you can see in the intensity metric below, our emissions per revenue decreased. This means we were more efficient by increasing our revenue and production.
HOW WE CALCULATE OUR EMISSIONS
We calculate our GHG Emissions using the GHG Protocol Methodology. Like most companies, our Scope 3 emissions are our largest source. The largest driver of our operational emissions - Scope 1 & Scope 2, which we have the most ability to control and influence- was our owned vehicles, used for day-to-day operations.
In 2020, we took a bold step in the calculation of our emissions and started including Scope 3 in our inventory, we used the GHG Protocol Evaluator Tool to understand the main drivers. To improve the accuracy of our numbers, for 2021 we dedicated to collecting primary data with our suppliers and vendors, as well as internal tracking systems.
Based on our climate journey today, these are areas for future actions to reduce our carbon emissions:
• Engage our value chain in Scope 3 reduction activities
• Engage transportation providers and customers in Scope 3 GHG (Greenhouse Gas) Emissions Reduction
• Invest in on-site renewable energy
• Employee commuting optimization
• Business travel conscientiousness
• Refine waste diversion to reduce GHGs from landfill
OUR CLIMATE JOURNEY
Although our climate journey is just beginning, we're proud to share these efforts and results; they represent the significant investment that Prime Forest is making into being an environmental steward. We have a long way to go, and we look forward to sharing our progress, challenges, and efforts as we evolve.